VR Virtual reality Simulation technology in the field of education application prospects - Dr. Zhou Fuli
1. The introduction
Virtual reality (VR) is a computer simulation system that can create and experience the virtual world. It uses the computer to generate a simulation environment and immerse the user into the environment. If virtual reality technology can make full use of human life, science and technology will have greater progress. Virtual reality technology is a set of computer technology, sensor technology, human psychology and physiology in a body's comprehensive technology, it is simulated by using computer simulation system external environment, the main object of simulation environment, skills, sensing devices and perception and so on, to provide users with more information, simulation of 3 d dynamic, interactive experience. In the past few decades, technology has developed rapidly in various fields and industries have changed dramatically, while VR has quietly entered our lives, such as entertainment games, shopping malls and flight training. VR technology also plays a great role in the field of education, so what are the advantages and applications of VR to education?
2. Typical application scenarios of VR simulation technology
(1) Entertainment games. Perhaps we've all played immersive entertainment at a mall arcade or amusement park. Its use is VR experience machine, specific is to give you a pair of glasses, after wearing you will enter the game scene, and then as a game character to complete the designated character.
(2) Shopping at the mall. At present, some clothing stores in shopping malls have placed an AR virtual fitting mirror. Just stand in front of this mirror, type in your measurements, and the mirror will reflect you in your new clothes.
(3) Flight training. Pilot's flight training is a very expensive, dangerous and difficult thing, because of the high cost of flight, flight is carried out at high speed, the protection of the pilot in the sky is very limited, the protection of the aircraft is almost zero. One slight omission could result in a fatal accident. Therefore, the application of VR in the world starts from flight simulation. The pilot puts on the helmet and sits in the flight cabin of VR equipment. The flight "atmosphere" and operation and feedback made by VR enable the pilot to carry out various training in the virtual flight state. The pilot training density, intensity and quality are greatly improved and the cost of training is reduced. Electronic map and flight instrument display, and pilot operation.
3. Problems of VR simulation technology
(1) Not yet mature. VR technology is a new development, the current technology is not mature, but the development prospect of VR technology is beyond doubt.
(2) Large equipment. At present, VR virtual reality simulation technology is based on wearing VR glasses. Some scene simulation not only requires wearing glasses, but may also require people to stand on a specific jitter machine. For example, in the simulated earthquake escape, we wear glasses to take us into the simulated scene, but our feet don't shake the ground, which obviously affects the simulation effect. Therefore, VR virtual reality simulation technology should be equipped with different devices according to the user's different experience, which is not very convenient.
(3) High cost. Since this is a new technology, it must be very expensive up front. One solution to the cost problem is that as technology matures and people's living standards improve, the cost may gradually decrease.
(4) Some remote areas are not connected to the Internet. Now it is the 5G era, but we have to admit that in some remote areas, especially in mountain villages, roads are not smooth and the Internet is not developed. There is a serious resource inequality in the education of children in rural areas compared with those in cities. VR may solve educational inequality, but it may not be widespread in mountainous areas if there is no Internet access.
4. Application advantages of VR virtual reality simulation technology
(1) Security. For example, when firefighters conduct fire field simulation training or pilots conduct flight simulation and other risky operations, VR technology can be used to simulate real scenes to carry out simulation training under the condition of ensuring personnel safety.
(2) No time and space limitation. Any scene can be simulated with VR. No time and space limitation is the foundation of VR technology, and also one of the biggest advantages of VR technology convenience.
(3) More realistic. Virtual reality technology uses computer simulation system to simulate the external environment, providing users with multi-information, three-dimensional dynamic, interactive simulation experience. For example, in reality, we discover new landscapes through photos or videos, which are two-dimensional, but what we perceive with VR is a more realistic THREE-DIMENSIONAL landscape.
5. Application of VR simulation technology in the field of education
(1) K12 education simulates real scenes. The traditional way of learning in K12 education, from primary school to the end of high school, is boring. Basically, students are facing the high school entrance examination and college entrance examination. Teachers are busy telling students all the knowledge points, and few teachers pay attention to cultivating children's interest in learning. With VR education, when a student starts learning, he may not even realize that he is immersed in it. For geography, history, biology and other courses, more theoretical knowledge, learning boring. With VR education, students can not be limited by space and time, shuttle in different time and space to personally visit various historical events, roaming in the universe, and all kinds of rare birds and animals close contact, intuitively see the whole process of cell mitosis. All of these can greatly stimulate the curiosity of students. Promote students' interest in the subject. Then generate learning motivation to stimulate students' enthusiasm for independent learning. In particular, experimental courses such as physical chemistry can allow students to explore experimental secrets and master discipline principles in a safer environment. Everyone can start to do experiments, the teacher's safety supervision pressure also dropped a lot. VR safety education has also become a new safety education model. The virtual environment is simulated, and the students learn safety escape skills and safety knowledge through VR equipment through learning games.
(2) Virtual teaching scene. Like creating a virtual classroom. After students wear the VR device, the device will randomly generate a virtual teaching classroom for them. In terms of the efficiency of online classes during the epidemic, if students do not have strong self-control, the efficiency of online classes will not be very high. VR virtual reality simulation technology can improve this situation. When students and their classmates are in the same class, there will be a strong learning atmosphere around them to urge themselves to learn. In addition, this way of learning can arbitrarily change the classroom theme, or even switch the teaching to the field, so as to attract students' attention and improve their learning efficiency.
(3) Distance education. In addition to the current urban and rural difference is big, rough equal education resources problems, future VR remote education is likely to change this situation, compared with the online video teaching, more telepresence and immersive VR remote education through the virtualization of classroom, breakthrough the limitation of region, let students and teachers across the country "coexist one room. Listen to the live speech, you can participate in the same experimental interactive content, truly realize the real classroom without differentiation of teaching. Especially after the COVID-19 pandemic, we have confirmed the importance of distance learning.
(4) Vocational training. For vocational training, VR also has a wide range of application scenarios, mainly to improve efficiency. VR provides a safe simulated environment for employees engaged in risky jobs to learn the appropriate health and safety training they need to perform their duties, including learning how to defuse stressful emotions. For example, if the staff engaged in high-altitude work begins to simulate high-altitude training in the process of vocational training, some students may not be able to overcome the fear of high-altitude, thus causing accidents. By simulating altitude training in VR, unnecessary risks can be avoided. Other traditional vocational training programs are mostly seminar demonstration role-playing and series of scene presentations, with little practical education, while VR-based vocational training can give employees the confidence to explore in a safe virtual environment without fear of making mistakes.
The combination of VR technology and education will bring greater changes to China's enlightenment education, youth education and adult education. Overall, the development prospect of VR education is beyond doubt. There is every reason to believe that VR will be a game-changer in education in the future. However, the maturity of VR technology and its popularity in the field of education are also real problems. There are still many problems to be solved in terms of experience, technology and final implementation, although there is still a long way to go. The combination of VR technology and network distance education is the development direction of future-oriented adult education, continuing education and lifelong education system, and also an important direction of constructing a learning society. As a link to the Internet as a platform to VR technique, series of various education discipline of remote module, arouse learners learning interests and ideas of thinking training, the realization of the function of the mining VR equipment method and more convenient operation way, make knowledge become more vivid and real do everyone can learn, to learn, to learn all the time everywhere.
 An Yajun, LIU Mengyang. Research on conception and function realization of network distance education based on virtual reality simulation technology. Liaoning Engineering University.
 Zhai Jun. VR Virtual reality simulation technology into vocational education training teaching model. Gansu Iron and Steel Vocational and Technical College.
 Wang Mingzhong, Hu Xiaoli. Application of virtual reality technology in practical teaching of vocational colleges. Fujian Radio and TV University.
 Yang Gang, Huai Yongjian, Huang Xinyuan. College virtual reality talent training and teaching planning. College of Information, Beijing Forestry University, College of Animation and Digital Art, Communication University of China.
 Yang Mei. Application research of VR technology in The field of Education in China. School of Public Administration, Xinjiang University of Finance and Economics.