Application of VRAR technology in Museums - Dr. Liu Weixing
The main function of museums is the dissemination of knowledge and culture. In traditional museums, a series of exhibits (physical originals, replicas and models, of course, sometimes pictures themselves are exhibits) on a certain subject are displayed to the audience in a specific way, accompanied by captions and pictures. Modern museums have increased the use of multimedia. However, there are several common phenomena in most exhibitions:
1) Due to the requirements of exhibits protection or audience protection, many exhibits and audience are separated by guardrail or protective cover, and placed at a certain distance and Angle to the audience. In order to see the exhibits carefully, the audience of different heights sometimes need to stand on tiptoe or squat down to get close to the protective cover. Sometimes you can't even find a point of view or position that you can see clearly.
2) The naked exhibits are afraid of being damaged, so the notice "No touching" is often seen, but it still can't stop curious visitors from touching the exhibits; Some of the interactive exhibits have been damaged by repeated improper handling.
3) The narrator's mouth gets dry from repetitions, and the audience may not hear clearly or get the answers they want; Multimedia automatic interpretation scheme can only mechanically repeat the scheduled limited interpretation, unable to answer any extended questions. Compared with the former, the management and maintenance of automatic multimedia interpretation equipment can only be regarded as a small trouble.
4) The cost of design, construction and decoration of the museum itself is not small. No museum, no matter how much financial support it has, can afford to keep its audience hungry for new exhibits, especially rare ones. How to attract the audience to visit, the exhibition and the renewal of exhibits is crucial. The problem of stale collections can be solved by renting and exchanging. But for some valuable and fragile items, the cost is not cheap. Different exhibition themes require different exhibits, which requires considerable labor and material costs.
5) Although modern media and the Internet are developed, it is not easy for ordinary people to find appropriate books and appropriate Internet access for things they are interested in. The museum side has relatively more professional personnel and technical data support, but it is impossible to provide unique consultation for each audience. Moreover, the average viewer may ask very simple or very complex questions at the same time for a point of interest. The former is frowned upon by professionals, while the latter can be hard for top experts to articulate. Some non-physical things, such as immaterial culture, activity characteristics of living things and evolution process of cosmic stars, can only be represented by words, pictures and animations. However, for complex things, it is difficult to be represented in the traditional way and can only be described by simple mechanical list. For some audiences with special in-depth understanding requirements, if the narrator does not just have a certain depth of understanding in a certain field, the audience can only regret.
Of digital museum is the important trend of the museum in recent years, applying virtual reality technology in the construction of digital museum is an important subject, using virtual reality technology museum is true, complete and stored in the computer network, realize the true 3 d digital archive, for the use of protection, repair, restoration and cultural exchanges, The limitation that can make museum collects treasure to break through original technical condition and preserve means undertakes dissemination. This is one of the directions of digital museum development in the future, and has a broad development prospect. VR technology and AR technology play a key role in museum digital technology. Augmented Reality (AR) technology, which is a new technology that integrates real world information and virtual world information "seamlessly", is the physical information (visual information, sound, taste, touch, etc.) that is difficult to experience in the real world within a certain range of time and space, through computer and other scientific technologies, After simulation and superposition, the virtual information is applied to the real world and perceived by human senses, so as to achieve sensory experience beyond reality. The real environment and the virtual object are superimposed into the same screen or space in real time. AR technology not only shows the information of the real world, but also shows the virtual information at the same time. The two kinds of information complement and superimpose each other. Virtual Reality technology uses computer simulation to generate a three-dimensional Virtual world, providing users with the simulation of visual, auditory, tactile and other senses, so that users can observe things in a three-dimensional space in a timely manner and without restrictions as if they are experiencing the environment. The following is a brief introduction to the application of VR technology and AR technology in digital museum:
VR technology can be used to carry out 1: 1 reduction, such as a grand grand qin shihuang terracotta warriors can be recovered by VR technique a virtual Terra Cotta Warriors pit, visitors can shuttle in the pit of the virtual, can see the details of each figures, even in the virtual scene can finish making a warrior's hand, firing, glaze etc., have a more profound understanding of the Terra Cotta Warriors production. Through voice introduction and picture information, visitors can visit the rich exhibition contents. Some pictures and texts can be further clicked to enlarge and view, allowing visitors to understand the history in more detail. The VR Museum transforms dead objects into living objects in the form of VR and can be displayed anywhere regardless of geographical location. Museum staff will become content producers, responsible for providing VR content shots so that people can enjoy vibrant historical sites at home, which not only provides opportunities for cash, but also builds brand image and satisfies the young generation's pursuit of art.
Using AR equipment, we can appreciate and learn exhibits in 3d simulation scenes made by VR virtual reality. Ar augmented reality provide virtual museum tour function, for the first time to come to join pavilion, museum wei stands, solemn, different style, through the ar augmented reality rendering virtual map at the entrance of the museum, can help visitors to quickly find entrances and access to exhibition hall layout, participating in a planned way. The museum is the guide of reality, efficiency is low, with the help of AR augmented reality and VR virtual reality technology will form rich show exhibits the projection to the customer, for example, with the help of historical circumstances, some ancient collection of famous person of representative will be reborn, as if returned to their time, give more striking exhibitors and culture shock.
Through the use of AR augmented reality technology and VR virtual reality technology, the museum has greatly improved the display effect, enhanced the visitors' vision, hearing and touch, felt a new visual experience, increased the visitors' good impression and impression of the museum, and enriched the soul and atmosphere of the exhibits for the museum.