Demands and Challenges of holographic Communication for future networks - Dr. Yun Liu
Abstract: With the acceleration of SG global commercial deployment process, various emerging immersive network applications represented by holographic communication have put forward significant demands and tests on the structure and capability of existing network systems. This paper introduces the wide application of holographic communication services in many fields, and analyzes the current situation that SG network cannot meet the rapid development of holographic immersive applications. The performance requirements of holographic communication applications in bandwidth, time delay, computing power, synchronization, quality of service, reliability and security are analyzed. The application scenarios and key technologies of holographic communication are summarized. Through the investigation and analysis of the possible evolution routes of the future network, the paper points out the direction of the evolution and development of the future network.
Keywords: holographic communication, future network, demand analysis, system architecture
1. Overview of holographic communication technology
With the advent of COMMERCIAL SG, new network technologies such as the Internet of Things, artificial intelligence, AR/VR (augmented Reality/Virtual reality), tactile network, holographic multimedia are gradually becoming reality and will be widely used in the next 30 years. During the rapid development of the network, more and more new applications are coming out. At the same time, these applications also bring higher demands and challenges to the network. For example, the rapid development of the Internet of Things and the proposal of "Industry 4.0" require the network to have the ability of super-large terminal access; The application of tactile network represented by remote surgery and the popularization of artificial intelligence such as robot and uav have put forward high requirements for the security and reliability of network. AR/VR requires the network to provide low latency to ensure user immersion experience .
Figure 1 holographic communication technology
2. Research status of holographic communication technology
In recent years, with the development and application of holographic technology, holographic communication is gradually becoming possible. Holographic display technology uses interference method to record the phase and amplitude of the scattered light wave on the surface of the object, and then uses diffraction principle to reconstruct the three-dimensional image of the object. Holographic communication is a new communication mode which uses holographic display technology to capture images of people and objects in remote locations, transmit holographic data through network, and use laser beam to project real-time dynamic stereoscopic images in the way of hologram at the terminal, and can interact with them. The information media of holographic communication is hologram. In the future network application, hologram will become the most widely used information media.
Holographic communication services can be widely used in remote communication, online education, health care, games and entertainment, commercial advertising and other fields. For example, the application of remote video holographic telepresence remote participants as the hologram onto local participants in room, remote debugging application technicians and remote artifact holographic rendering interact, remote training and education can provide users with online from a remote location and surreal holographic object for the ability of dynamic interaction, In order to achieve the purpose of teaching. In addition, holographic technology is also involved in the robots used for remote surgery and immersive entertainment, games and sports .
In April 2017, Verizon, the largest telecom operator in the United States, connected the world's first SG Hologram international phone with KT through THE SG network. During the K-Live Hologram concert at Nuri Dream Square in Seoul on March 5, 2019, Korea Telecom made a "hologram call" between Seoul and Los Angeles by connecting the SG network to a floating hologram system. In May 2020, ZTE assisted Xinhua News Agency to carry out SG holographic remote on-screen interview during the "two sessions". With the continuous development of new technologies such as XR C Extended Reality (XR C extended Reality), digital twin, artificial intelligence, etc., the increasingly expanding business needs of holographic communication cannot be met, and the immersive holographic business based on the current SG communication network will become more and more difficult. In the future, the network needs to provide more powerful connectivity to ensure that people can enjoy fully immersive holographic interactive experience at any time and place, and realize the communication vision of "holographic connectivity" .
3. Holographic communication scene and key technologies
According to the above analysis of network requirements, holographic communication scenes can be roughly divided into the following four categories.
(1) Holographic communication services with high transmission data density and low delay require the network to provide ultra-high bandwidth and ultra-low transmission delay for the purpose of realizing high-speed data transmission and real-time interaction of users, and are applicable to various telecommunications scenarios of operators .
(2) Holographic communication services with fast computing and response require the network to provide powerful computing power and low transmission delay, suitable for games and entertainment, remote surgery, remote barrier removal and other scenarios.
(3) Holographic communication services with multiple concurrent streams and connection numbers can sense the network state, select the appropriate transmission protocol according to QoS, adjust the transmission strategy of hologram according to connection number and application priority, and ensure the synchronization of multiple concurrent streams. Suitable for remote video conferencing, online education, advertising and other kinds of OTTC over the top, the Internet to provide users with application services) application scenarios.
(4) Holographic communication services with high reliability and security, mainly with very low packet loss rate and data security, suitable for satellite communication and other scenarios.
The key technologies of holographic communication can be summarized into the following five types based on the analysis of network requirements .
(1) Holographic display technology: at present, it develops rapidly and is widely used in AR/VR and other fields.
(2) High-bandwidth spectrum technologies, such as THZ communication and visible light communication, which are highly concerned by the industry.
(3) Holographic coding technology: Processing a large number of concurrent images in the hologram array requires a huge amount of computer storage and network transmission bandwidth, while compression and decompression bring additional calculations that will seriously affect the time delay. Therefore, the use of efficient holographic coding technology is a technical problem to be solved in the future development of holographic communication.
(4) Low delay/deterministic delay: The new IP and deterministic network may be able to solve the low delay, synchronization and QoS requirements of holographic communication in the future.
(5) Computing power network: the convergence of computing and network is the trend of future network development. The convergence of computing and network can effectively reduce the network delay, which has a positive and important impact on the development of holographic communication.
4. opportunities and challenges
The rapid development of the network has brought great convenience to both science and technology and life. Among many interactive applications, holographic communication provides holographic video call, immersive shopping, remote holographic surgery and other services, so that people can enjoy fully immersive holographic interactive experience and realize the deep integration of virtual scene and real scene. However, the ultra-high bandwidth, ultra-low delay, network computing power, synchronization, QoS, reliability and security indicators required by holographic communication cannot be achieved with the current network architecture and technology. The future network needs to make breakthroughs in system architecture and network technology to support these future applications that are constantly appearing and in high demand .
In the aspect of network architecture, in order to solve the various problems increasingly exposed by the current TCP/IP architecture, many countries in the world have carried out a number of studies on the future network, and put forward two technical routes of "evolution" and "revolution". Among them, the "evolution" technical route claims under the existing TCP/IP network architecture for repairing patch type, put forward a new network technology, change the network configuration, the network equipment or modification of topology, to upgrade the existing network communication protocol, and artificial intelligence, chain blocks, large data such as new technology is applied to the net now, So that the existing network architecture to adapt to the new development needs. The "revolutionary" approach advocates starting from scratch, that is, exploring new network architecture on the basis of not being constrained by the existing network, redesigning network communication protocols, and defining it as the future network architecture. In this way, the problems of traditional network architecture in scalability, security, controllability, QoS guarantee, mobility, service distribution and green energy saving can be overcome, so as to better meet the needs of future development and realize the sustainable development of network.
There is much debate in the industry about the "evolutionary" approach, which makes simple network structures increasingly complex and bloated, and the "revolutionary" approach, which slows down the pace of actual deployment.
As network Functions Virtualization (NFV), Software Defined Networking (SDN), Software-defined Network), SRC segment Routing, ADN (Address Driven Network) Address - driven Network), Service Customized Network (SCN C), MEC, ARTIFICIAL intelligence, IPv6, blockchain and other new network technologies, the architecture and standards of the future network should be adopted is still the focus of fierce debate in the industry.
Nowadays, the development of network applications has gradually become the source of demand for the development of network technologies. The research on new network technologies and system architecture is to better support future network applications. In turn, clarifying the performance requirements of future network applications will provide a clearer direction for the research on network architecture. All these will provide opportunities and challenges for the development of science and technology, system architecture and emerging service applications .